Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Upgrade to CentOS 5.6 and KVM failure

Recently I have upgraded my KVM server from Centos 5.5 to 5.6  I can no longer boot any of virtual machines. While trying to boot VM its gives error...  

Booting from Hard Disk...
Boot failed: not a bootable disk

FATAL: No bootable device

My all VMs are qcow2 format, quick Googling reports its issue with the 'type=raw' in .xml file for the VM.


<driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>

Fixed:
Change the type='qcow2' in xml file, so that its read something like this

<driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/>

And restart the libvirtd service.

This fixed all the KVM VMs for me.

2 comments:

  1. hi .. could you give me what is your kernel version using ?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not remember what was the kernel version at that time as I keep my server updated.
    Current kernel version: 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP

    ReplyDelete